Prepare your Business for a Storm
In recent years, many different types of disasters have affected the United States. Flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires, and blizzards are natural disasters that can threaten your home, business, and community. Your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals want you and your customers to be aware of the steps to take to help prepare for the worst.
How quickly your company can get back to business after a natural disaster often depends on today's emergency planning. While each situation is different, your organization can be better prepared if you put an emergency procedure in place, and practice for all kinds of emergencies. A commitment to begin planning today will help support your employees, customers, the community, the local economy, and the country. It also protects your business investment and gives your company a better chance for survival.
- Be Informed. Do you know what kind of emergencies might affect your company? Do you know what you will do in an emergency?
- Develop a Business Continuity Plan. Do you know which staff, procedures, and equipment are necessary to keep operating? Do you have backup plans for those operations? Do you know what you will do if your building or plant is not accessible? Do you know what you will do if a disaster impacts your suppliers? Are you ready for utility disruptions?
- Prepare your Emergency Plan. Do you have an evacuation and shelter-in-place plan? Do you have a plan to communicate with employees before, during, and after an incident? Do you have copies of buildings and site maps with utilities and emergency routes marked? Are your employees trained for medical emergencies?
- Practice the Emergency Plan. Have you practiced your plan recently? Do you practice and coordinate with other businesses in your building or industrial complex? Have you reviewed your plans in the last 12 months?
- Review of Insurance Coverage. Have you reviewed your insurance coverage recently to see if you're covered in a disaster?
- Secure Your Facility and Equipment. Have you secured all the ways people, products, and supplies get into your building? Have you conducted a room-by-room walk-through to determine what can be strapped down?
- Improve Cyber Security. Do you regularly install patches to your software? Have you installed a firewall on your computer? Do you regularly update your antivirus software?
- Promote Family and Individual Preparedness. Do you encourage employees to have a personal emergency supply kit and a family communication plan?
If you answered "No" to any of these questions, call SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth at 770-858-5000 so we can help your business better prepare.